Things to do this fall:
- Disconnect your garden hose from the outside faucets. Freezing weather will cause damage to the faucet if the hose is attached. Turn shut-off valves off for outside faucets.
- Check sump pump operation. Add enough water to trip the switch and confirm that the pump is functioning properly.
- Turn washing machine faucets off and on. These faucets can “freeze up” over time due to lack of use.
- Check toilets for leakage. Add food coloring or dye to water in toilet tank to check for leakage into bowl. A leaking toilet flapper is the most common water leak in a house.
- If in a mobile home, make sure water supply is protected from freezing. Confirm that the heat tape is plugged in and operational.
- Open slow flowing drains by pouring in 1/3 cup baking soda, followed by 1/3 cup of vinegar. Immediately plug off drain and let is sit for several minutes. Run hot water for several minutes to finish the process. NOTE: The baking soda and vinegar will create a reaction and foam up. Be prepared to close the drain quickly after pouring in the vinegar to force the foaming action down the drain.
- Check caulking around tubs, toilets, and lavatories, and re-seal as necessary.
- Block off crawlspace vents to prevent freezing water lines.